Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Help with hosting a 'quick game' (listen server)
06-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Help with hosting a 'quick game' (listen server)
Here is the deal -- A few of my friends and I really like Nexuiz (thanks!), and would like to play games with each other (& sometimes bots) onlilne. Although we are able to join the same existing games (from a 3rd party server), we are not able to join each other's games when we host one. I have some questions about our situation as well as some other Q's. [By the way, one of us (me) uses Mac OS X and the others all use Windows]

(1) I read that I might need to reconfigure the 'variable port' from 26000 to something else. How do I know what to change is to? I have household (USA) cable internet & use a wireless connection (I know, I should not be playing games on wireless, but I'd rather not have a 500 ft cord running throughout my house).

(2) Ok, even if I did know what to change my variable port to... where do I actually change it? (I think I could figure it out, but might as well ask!)

(3) I know that I can get the command list & variable list in the console (which means I found the console! [yes, I know I'm a newb]). But I can't figure out how to set up which teams which bots are on. For example, let's say I suck really bad at TDM and want to practice 1x2 (me vs two bots). Well, it automatically sets it up so that the bots are on opposing teams. I'd like to be able to control which teams bots are on. This should come in handy when my friends and I want to practice TDM 3[us] VS 3[bots].

(4) Let's say my friends and I want to all join a different server (one that wasn't hosted by one of us). Are there some tips, conventions, advice, etc. that we should get? We are beginners and don't want to annoy veteran players. Are there certain places that are best to start on? Etc.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2009, 05:47 PM
RE: Help with hosting a 'quick game' (listen server)
I should add that when I tried to host a game on my Mac desktop (via my home wireless internet connection), I *was* able to join the game using my MacBook (via the same at-home wireless internet connection), using all default settings (so, using variable port '26000' I presume). Like I said though, my other friend (on a Windows PC) was not able to join my game. Both of my computers and his were able to join the same 3rd party server.

I'm confused as to why my MacBook could join my desktop's game but my friend (from across town) could not. Does it have to do with the fact that my two computers are using the same internet connection? Or could it be that my internet connection sucks so bad that it is hard to join it when I host (My MacBook was not able to recognize & join my Desktop's game until 30-60 seconds after it had been created -- I had killed a couple bots on my desktop before my laptop even had the option to join the game).

Any help would be appreciated ( Direct answers to my questions, or other places to look for answers... I've had no luck in my searches Icon_sad )

Thanks!
badmilk101, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Jun 2009.
06-27-2009, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2009 10:51 PM by master[mind].)
To host a game that is not local(i.e. over the web...not connected to the same router) you have to use a script which will call nexuiz-dedicated. Browse to the file ./Nexuiz/server/readme.txt for instructions on how to setup a server. It gives pretty detailed instructions. The readme should help. I would personally recommend not using wifi for the server(setup a linux box dedicated to being a server near your router.) That's the basics. From there just try experimenting.

P.S. - Correct me if I'm wrong on something forumers.

Edit- The .bat doesn't seem to work correctly. Try setting up the server.cfg in ./Nexuiz/server and copying it into the main Nexuiz directory (./Nexuiz) Then either run the nexuiz-dedicated or if that doesn't recognize the server.cfg, see if there is a command line option to use server.cfg.
Best advice I can give.
Anybody else want to fill in and/or correct anything wrong?
[img]https://home.comcast.net/~mastermind7373/master[mind]-siggy-1.png[/img]
Winning requires Learning. You Learn by Losing. Thus Winning [i]requires[/i] Losing.
06-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Oh... I thought that both types of servers (listen & dedicated) were hosted over the internet. So a listen server is basically just a LAN game then? That would explain why my laptop could join my desktop's game but why my friend who lives across town could not join. Do I have this right?

I *do* have two computers, so I suppose I could try to set one up as a "dedicated server" just before my friends and I wish to play.

Yeah, playing anything over Wifi is sketchy. Signal wavers between good & bad (but sometimes that's due to the fact that my ISP sucks, rather that the fact that I am using wireless). So, would hosting a dedicated server for 3 human players to play on (plus possible bots) over wireless be a waste of time, or could it work? The wiring situation where I live is annoying & unfixable; wireless is the answer.

I still would like my separate question answered (concerning moving bots around):

"(3) I know that I can get the command list & variable list in the console (which means I found the console! [yes, I know I'm a newb]). But I can't figure out how to set up which teams which bots are on. For example, let's say I suck really bad at TDM and want to practice 1x2 (me vs two bots). Well, it automatically sets it up so that the bots are on opposing teams. I'd like to be able to control which teams bots are on. This should come in handy when my friends and I want to practice TDM 3[us] VS 3[bots]."

Thanks again...
badmilk101, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Jun 2009.
06-29-2009, 10:43 PM
I believe so, but I could be wrong.
It might turn out to be too hard to play with a wireless connection(knowing this from experience(wifi packet loss is a pain)). But it might work. It depends on the router.
I am unable to answer the question about the bots though, as I have not messed with .cfg much.
[img]https://home.comcast.net/~mastermind7373/master[mind]-siggy-1.png[/img]
Winning requires Learning. You Learn by Losing. Thus Winning [i]requires[/i] Losing.
07-01-2009, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2009 01:39 PM by AnArKiSt.)
If you want to use an emulated LAN connection to play with your friends over the internet, use Hamachi. It's free to use with a non-commercial license, however it is closed source and you must pay for a commercial license if you want one. All people who want to play on your emulated LAN will need Hamachi installed, the name of the virtual network, and the password you specify to be required to connect to it.
[url]https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en[/url]

If you don't want to set that up, use nexuiz-dedicated after configuring server.cfg.
[img]http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/lsu3yp5qc56g69dtt8ey.jpg[/img]
10-22-2009, 12:32 AM
One reason your hosting isn't that great might be high ping. Most people have their server lists on low to high.

01-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Thanx for sharing
[url=http://www.lowcostserverhosting.com/]Dedicated Linux Server Hosting [/url]
meganjo, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Jan 2010.
02-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanx for sharing
----------
[url=http://www.lowcostserverhosting.com/]Dedicated Linux Server Hosting [/url]
meganjo, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Jan 2010.